ICOM-CC Modern Materials & Contemporary Art & Textiles Virtual Joint Interim Meeting
START DATE: February 21, 2023END DATE: February 23, 2023
Modern Materials and Contemporary Art
Title: Semi-synthetic and Synthetic Textile Materials in Fashion, Design and Art
21-23 February, 2023
Online Free Event
Collections from the 20th century, especially those that focus on fashion, design and art, have semi-synthetic and synthetic textile materials. Since their discovery in the late 19th century, developments and new innovations have continued throughout the present day.
The degradation, preservation and conservation of these materials are in need of constant research, as many behave and degrade in unknown ways when compared to natural textiles and to synthetics used in three-dimensional objects.
This meeting brings together two conservation disciplines, Textiles and Modern Materials & Contemporary Art, to merge knowledge and increase awareness on the technology, identification, degradation, and conservation of semi-synthetic and synthetic textile materials.
The meeting will be virtual, open to both members and non-members, and will include an online post-print publication. We are looking for submissions from conservators, conservation scientists, curators, scholars, and students.
We hope this event provides you with the opportunity to present and publish your research, practical experiences, and knowledge on this topic.
Theme and suggested related topics:
- Semi-synthetic and synthetic textile materials (particularly fibres, elasticised textiles, coated and foam-laminated textiles, as well as films):
- Innovative manufacturing processes (eg.: 3D printed textiles and high-tech/high performances fabrics)
- Surface treatments
- Material identification
- Research into degradation factors
- Treatment studies
- Case studies
- Preventive conservation issues and solutions
Authors will be required to submit a final paper to the organizers before the conference. The papers will go through peer-review and editing. Selected papers will be published as digital post-prints. They will be available after the meeting on the ICOM-CC Publications Platform and for print on demand at www.lulu.com.
Extended to September 5th: Deadline for receipt of abstracts
By the beginning of October 2022: Selected authors will be notified
Mid-January 2023: Deadline for presentation submission
February 21, 2023: Submission of papers for the post-prints and start of the conference
Instructions for submission of papers and posters:
- The full title of the paper/poster
- Full names, job title, institution, and e-mail address of the contact author
- Abstract of the paper (between 300 and 500 words)
- Abstract of the poster (max 250 words)
- Biographies of authors (max. 100 words)
- Graphs, pictures, tables, or references should not be included
- All works submitted must be original and not have been published elsewhere.
ICOM-CC Modern Materials & Contemporary Art Working Group Coordinator
ICOM-CC Textiles Working Group Coordinator
Email address: email@example.com